No one likes you. No one likes the fact that you are disrupting global commerce, trade, and information exchange on pure FUD — fear, uncertainty, and doubt. No one likes that you have no logic or common sense. And no one likes that you can’t think for yourself and won’t do anything until a bigger company does so you can try to deflect the blame onto them.
Stop listening to the press that feeds off of FUD and start listening to the scientists and the facts.
1) No one really fully understands how COVID-19 spreads and who will get infected, but we do know it’s ability to spread is not as bad as SARS and that it is not even as bad as some strains of the flu that have been with us for decades.
2) The mortality rate for this global pandemic is quite low, especially among healthy adults … it’s really the young and the old that need to be concerned (and they don’t have the need to travel much anyway as they should be in school or retired). In fact, at the current mortality rate, for the death toll just to equal the mortality rate of the GOOD OLD FLU just in the USA in the 2017-2018 flu season, the entire population of China and over 1/3 of the population of neighbouring India would have to be infected.
3) More people die of snake bites every day than have died from COVID-19.
But, most importantly,
4) Unless you are in a hot-zone with a high concentration of cases, as of NOW, wherever you are is statistically no worse than anywhere else. And if you have any understanding of viruses at all, you know that due to delays in testing, over focus on borders, and no real tracking in certain developed countries until very recently, it’s already everywhere and THERE’S NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT THAT. This leaves us two choices. Business as usual. Or shut down the entire world for three weeks.
More people will still die of the good old fashioned flu no matter what you do. So stop acting like a cross-breed between Chicken Little and an Ostrich — if you are even contemplating that you are going to shut down an event, operation, or anything else, just do it right now as no one likes having plans upheaved at the last minute — not you, not your customers, not all the providers who were depending on your business (and turning away other business because they booked you), and definitely NOT your insurance company that is going to get thousands of claims they are NOT going to honour because your FUD does not constitute force majeure.
5) Here’s what you should be worrying about:
||This F*CKER still kills over 26,000 people a day. (Even if the entire world contracted COVID-19, CANCER would still kill more people this year.)
||This Other F*CKER still kills over 24,000 people a day. (It will also kill more people than COVID-19 would if the world were infected.)
||Over 4,000 people a day. And the number continues to rise over time.
||Over 3,000 people a day without extra FUD and reasons to be depressed. The FUD around COVID-19 is probably pushing more people over the edge than the physical damage the virus is actually doing.
||These blood suckers are infecting over 2,500 people a day with deadly diseases.
||We murder over 1,300 of our brothers and sisters every day … and those are just the documented cases!
||On average, over 1,000 people a day globally, but as many as 1,500 people a day in bad years!
||Over 130 people a day. If you really gotta worry about something, worry about a Mother-F*ckin’-Snake on the Mother-F*ckin’-Plane. *
Now it’s time to find a clearing, take a deep breath, and calm down. Then wash your hands, don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth until you do, and avoid slobbering perfect strangers (and definitely their dogs) until you know where they’ve been and the pandemic is contained (through declining numbers, better treatment options, and a vaccine).
(And, more importantly, think about what would happen if our medical professionals acted like many of you are right now!)
Personally, I dread Pneumonia and Avian Influenza (Bird Flu) more. Having had the first many times and a few very bad variations of influenza, until we get something at least as bad as SARS, I’m going to remember what Douglas Adams told us: DON’T PANIC. Panic accomplishes nothing. (After all, as the Brits would say, if you’re gonna die, you’re gonna die, so you might as well Die With Your Boots On!.)
* Snakes are as terrified as you when they are trapped in enclosed spaces outside their habitat, and while your impulse is to try and flee when backed in a corner, theirs is to attack YOU! Given that you are trapped inside a small space where you can’t move and aren’t allowed to take a snake stick on-board …
PS: Comments are disabled, mainly to prevent the need to moderate the hundreds (or thousands) of hate messages that will inevitably be left by the uneducated, press following, masses who (given election results in first world countries over the last few years, number in the tens, if not hundreds, of millions and)
a) refuse to think for themselves (but will stumble upon this blog as they have to read everything Corona Virus / COVID-19 related) and
b) will believe the doctor is an evil, uncaring, psychopath because he wants to bring logic to the situation. It’s not that the doctor doesn’t care, he’s just fed up with the fact that every time something new comes along, we forget about the tens of thousands of people dying EVERY DAY from diseases that are going to be around for decades more if we keep ignoring them.
PPS: the doctor used to just think that university degrees, logic tests, and psychological profiles should be necessary to run for public office … but is now getting to the point where he’s thinking it should be necessary before you are allowed to use the Internet. The fake news (that internet hosting companies can not be made responsible for even when such news is pointed out to them**) is bad enough. But the disinformation is getting more dangerous than reality itself!
**Thanks to section 230 and what turned out to be the the 26 words that created the internet. (See this recent article on The Verge or Jeff Kosseff’s C-Span video, for example.)