When we last checked in on the Oompa Loompas, things were finally starting to look up. Not much, but with Cadbury’s going fair trade, the opening of the TCHO waterfront factory, and the UAE premium chocolate business resisting recessionary dynamics it looked like, after almost two years of hardship, that things were taking a turn for the better.
But did we speak too soon? Since then:
- June 29, 2009 E. Coli found at Nestle Plant
Federal investigators at the Nestle USA plant in Danville, Virginia, found evidence of E. coli bacteria in an unopened package of raw chocolate chip cookie dough.
- July 8, 2009 Employee Dies in New Jersey Chocolate Plant
An oompa loompa fell into a vat of hot chocolate and suffered a fatal blow to the head from the vat’s agitator.
- August 3, 2009 Venezuala Seizes Coffee Companies
And the oompa loompas get caught in the cross-fire.
There was some good news too, but does it balance the bad?
- July 21, 2009 Camel Milk Chocolates Go Global
Dubai’s Al Nassma, the world’s first brand of chocolate made with camels’ milk, is in talks to expand into Europe, Japan and the United States.
- July 23, 2009 Hershey Posts Higher-Than-Expected Quarterly Profit
Hershey gained U.S. market share despite price increases and raised its full year outlook.
- July 29, 2009 Cadbury Sees Growth
Cadbury met it’s forecasts with a 24% rise in first-half profits, presumably securing jobs for its oompa loompas for the time being.
- Aug 3, 2009 Domino’s Adds Chocolate Cake
As part of its menu expansion, Domino’s adds a chocolate treat to its menu.
Will the oompa loompas ever see a quarter without hardship?