Walmart has made it’s 15 Question Sustainability Product Index public. Can you answer it’s five questions on people and community?
- Do you know the location of 100% of the facilities that produce your product(s)?
You should. You really, really should. Not just for ethical reasons, but for compliance and regulatory reasons.
- Before beginning a business relationship with a manufacturing facility, do you evaluate the quality of, and capacity for, production?
If you sell the product, and it’s defective, you’re on the hook.
- Do you have a process for managing social compliance at the manufacturing level?
If you don’t, how do you insure your social policies are being followed?
- Do you work with your supply base to resolve issues found during social compliance evaluations and also document specific corrections and improvements?
You need to lead the way.
- Do you invest in community development activities in the markets you source from and/or operate within?
While not critical from a compliance or regulatory viewpoint, it’s the right thing to do.